The Longdon and other marshes at the foot of Malvern Chase were grazed by cattle."Woodland management was considerable", providing fuel for the kilns.Little is known about Malvern over the next thousand years until it is described as "an hermitage, or some kind of religious house, for seculars, before the conquest, endowed by the gift of Edward the Confessor".The additions to William Dugdale's Monasticon include an extract from the Pleas taken before the King at York in 1387, stating that there was a congregation of hermits at Malvern "some time before the conquest".
St Werstan's oratory is thought to have been located on the site of St Michael's Chapel which is believed to have stood on the site of Bello Sguardo, a Victorian Villa.
A further major expansion was the result of the relocation of the Telecommunications Research Establishment (TRE) to Malvern in 1942.
Qineti Q, TRE's successor company, remains the town's largest local employer.
A study made by Royal Commission in 2005 that includes aerial photographs of the Hills "amply demonstrates the archaeological potential of this largely neglected landscape, and provides food for thought for a number of research projects".
Products were traded as far as South Wales, via the River Severn.